Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Project: Board & Batten Entryway Part 1

So, I have this friend named Pinterest. This friend of mine has some really good ideas, and some not so good ideas. One day I came across this really beautiful entryway so I of course "pinned" it. A few days later I came across another one very similar and soon after that I kept running into more of the same idea. I think my friend Pinterest was trying to tell me something. I showed my husband a few pictures and talked through the project with him. We decided that we wanted to do it within the next few days.

This project was quite more difficult than I had imagined it would be. Most of our projects are. I told myself that rather than letting this project dominate us, we were going to dominate the project. (We normally get totally dominated).

Before







Here are the MANY steps of the project:
0. Create mental Budget for the project
1. Measure walls
2. Figure out materials list
3. Measure walls
4. Revamp materials list
5. Measure walls
6. Buy materials from the store (Note: the bright blue shoes "the man" is wearing are his new birthday running shoes! They are awesome, and he just had to wear them to the store =D)

7. Decide to cut wood at home because only the first 10 cuts are Free at Home Depot
8. Measure walls
9. Cut some wood
10. Measure walls
11. Cut more wood
12. Measure walls and realize you want to do something differently and that you don't have enough wood.
13. Run back to store
14. Measure. Cut. Measure. Cut. All of this while most of your neighbors hate you because it is 8-9:45pm and most families in our  neighborhood have really young children. Oh well.
15. Drill boards to walls
16. Measurements/wood cuts are off...figure out how to fix it.
17.Finish drilling all the wood.

18. Wood filler in the nail holes
19. Caulking
20. Sanding (FYI: I know it sounds stupid, but we were not aware until it was too late that you cannot sand caulking. Oh well)
21. Cut the crown molding to go under the shelf - without any of the really special tools needed. Yeah my husband rocked this portion.

22. Clean walls and wood
23. Paint wood
24. Realize the caulking looks like crap in some very important places
25. Go back to the drawing board to fix those places. (This is where we are at now)



These are not quite "After" pictures
since we are still working on the project. But they give you an idea!!


I will do a Part 2 in a few days after we fix the areas that need fixing and do a couple other things like put our coat hooks in there etc. I will also post some important tips and other helpful things to remember if you are thinking about doing something like this in your own house!

All in all, we have had a ton of fun working together on this Board and Batten Entryway. We also love the look of it and the brightness and difference it makes in our house.
Have a fab day!

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome! I wish we had a space we could do that with in our home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That looks great! Can't wait to see it in person. You guys rock!

    ReplyDelete