Monday, December 10, 2012

My Christmas Breakdown

This year everything is a little bit different, and very new. 
This is our first Christmas married. 
We had gone to Kansas last Christmas to be with my family. 
This year though it is just The Man and Me. 
We aren't going anywhere, we don't have anyone coming into town, it really is just The Man and Me. 

Christmas has always been a very special time for me.
I have always been at home for Christmas. 
I am used to spending lots of time with my family, especially with my mom. 
My mom and I usually do a lot of the last minute Christmas shopping together. 
We make and put together lots of goodies for all of our closest friends. 
The goodies never really get to anyone because they all get eaten first. 
All of the family helps in putting up the Christmas decorations in the house, and so much more!

 Last year though, my mom and I found a very special place and created a wonderful memory. 
My mom wrote a blog post about it... 
That special place was under the Christmas tree.
We both laid under the tree and laughed for what seemed like hours. 
In the post my mom wrote she goes into lots more details as to why. 
You should check it out. :)

With all these wonderful traditions and memories I knew that this year would/will most likely be hard.
For the past few weeks I have been looking for things that I could decorate our house with to make it feel like Christmas was really here. 
Thinking of all the great decorations my family has had in the house since before I can remember, I felt discouraged because I couldn't figure out anything to have in my home. 
The Man and I went out on a little shopping trip to try and find somethings to help liven up our house. 
After going to numerous stores for many hours and having pretty much no luck, we both began to get cranky, hungry and tired. 
That is when I had my Christmas Breakdown.
I began to cry. I just cried, and cried. 
I felt like I had been defeated. I felt like I really wasn't going to be able to make our house beautiful and decorative. I had so many feelings that were extremely discouraging. All I wanted was to run to Kansas and steal all of the decorations from the house.

After eating some dinner (which always helps) and having a talk with the hubby (which also always helps) we began to reevaluate our previous shopping trip. We were looking in all the wrong places and we both had the wrong attitude about it all. I also realized I did not need all the things from Kansas because it is no longer my home. 
I realized that my real home is now here

It was time that My hubby and I began making our own traditions and memories. 
Traditions and memories that we will share for the rest of our lives. 
Traditions and memories that we can hold close and dear to our hearts. 
Traditions and memories that we can pass on to our future generations. 

So, we went to one last store that same night and filled our basket with all sorts of fun items. We had so much fun finding new things for our home. There was love, peace, and joy. 
There was the spirit of Christmas.

We got home and spent lots of time working on our home to make it look like Christmas. 
I have realized something really important though...
You do not have to have it look like Christmas. 
It just needs feel like Christmas, with or without the decorations.

And with that I have some pictures to share. :) 
Thanks for reading!

The Snowman Wreath we made for our front door!
This is one of my favorite things we have!

The mantle with garlands that have cute things in it. 
Can you tell I love snowmen yet??

Our amazing live (I grew up with fake, he didn't) Christmas tree
with the fabulous Top Hat Christmas tree topper!

Decorations The hubby grew up with. He thought he didn't have them anymore
What a surprise it was when he found it in the garage.
Let's just say it was an extremely happy moment!

Super easy to make and gorgeous to look at. Glitter light bulb center piece.

The annual Shop with a cop.
What a neat experience it is to participate in helping needy kids each year. :)


1 comment:

  1. Jasmine! I LOVED this post! I laughed, I cried, it was beautiful! :) I, too, am finding that it just needs to FEEL like Christmas. And there are all kinds of different ways to make that happen. I am so proud of you for rising above your sad moments and making something special and great in the day. There is always something to rejoice and be glad in. All we have to do is take a little time to find it. I surely do love you (and your man). You are both a blessing in my life!! Merry Christmas to you there, from me here. I will miss our time under the tree. (This year, mine is too little to lay under. But I love it, anyway. :))

    ReplyDelete