Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Red M&M's...

I am going to tell you all a little funny fact about me. 

I don't eat RED m&m's

In fact I once did this with my M&M's


This may seem crazy and I should probably stop this odd quirk. I have actually tried to, and cannot.

You may be wondering "How did this all Start??" 
Don't worry... I am going to tell you.

When I was maybe 9-10 my friend was picking red m&m's out of her mixture.
I was confused and of course asked why she was doing this. 
Her response was "I don't eat red m&m's anymore". 
I was confused and let her explain. She told me that she had found out that the red dye in the m&m's was made from ladybug shells. Yes, that's right...Ladybug shells. I think she also said beetle shells but that's besides the point. At this point I knew she was just making it up but I wanted to be cool just like her. 
(You know we are all like this when we are 9-10 yrs old.)
When she first told me about it she had me try all the flavors. We discovered that the red ones tasted different. So, we began to pick out all our red m&m's. 
Years passed by and we were still picking out red m&m's. We would pick them out of large bags, we would throw the red ones away that were leftover in our bags, we would even pick them out of m&m cookies!!! There was no eating RED m&m's.


To this day...I do not remember the last time I ate a red m&m. 
It is not an easy task to always pick past the red ones, especially at Christmas. 
You have the mint m&ms that are amazing and the colors consist of Red, White, and Green. 
You have the wonderful and new peppermint ones that consist of Red and White. 
You have the plain, peanut, peanut butter, and pretzel holiday ones that all consist of Red, White, and Green.
That means Christmas time I lose 1/3 and even 1/2 of the m&m's. 
Luckily, my husband rolls his eyes and eats all of them for me. 
He gets tired of all the red m&m's though. 

This is a dilemma that I can't quite seem to get past.
I know the red ones aren't made from beetle or ladybug shells. 
I know the red ones don't taste funny.
For some reason though I cannot seem to muster up the "courage" to eat a Red m&m. 
Is this a bad thing?   
Should I go on having this weird quirk about me? 
Should I continue to let these red m&m's the outcasts? 


hmm...
It has always been an interesting conversation starter...
Maybe I'll eat one another day. 
Just probably not today.
:) 

No comments:

Post a Comment